What is a Bite Splint or Night Guard?
A bite splint is a custom made plastic appliance, which fits over either the upper or lower teeth. The guard is made and fitted specifically for you and your unique situation. Bite splints have 3 main purposes: protect your teeth and your dental work, relax tense muscles and protect sore TM Joints.
What are the Benefits of Bite Splints?
- Protect the teeth and your dental work against the destructive effects of grinding and clenching
- Relax sore and tired muscles that result from clenching and grinding
- Reduces muscle tightness and muscle spasms, which allows for increased jaw movement
- By reducing pressure on a sore TM Joint, it provides an environment for healing and reduced pain
- Helps alleviate tension headaches that are a result of muscle tension
What is the difference between a Custom Splint versus a store bought product?
- Custom fit hard bite splints serve 3 functions
- Protect your teeth
- Relax your chewing muscles, thus reducing pain and soreness
- Protect the jaw joint(TMJ) by reducing pressure
- Decrease activity of the chewing muscles
- Custom fit bite guards are much less bulky
- Although, store bought guards protect your teeth, similar to an athletic guard. In my experience they actually increase muscle activity, because they are chewy. Exactly the opposite of what patients need.