The causes of chronic headaches, face and TMJ pain are many and most often interrelated. During the examination, Dr. Miller is able to identify the causes for pain and begin to develop a differential diagnosis. Because the causes are multi-factorial, it generally is best to employ a team approach to pain management. The goal is always the most conservative and effective treatment. Some of the treatment modalities are the following:
- Splint Therapy – relaxes tight, over-stressed muscles and allows for healing.
- Physical Therapy – restores joint and soft tissue mobility. PT’s are very helpful at dealing with cervical issues. Patients are given therapeutic exercises.
- Equilibration (bite balance)
- Neurologists – extremely helpful with headache management, diagnosing neuropathic pain and trigeminal neuralgia.
- Stress Coaches – teach patients how to control their response to stress through physical self-regulation.
- Pharmaceuticals- short term use of muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Oral Surgeons & Orthodontists
As you can see, there are many therapies available. The key is identifying which are best for each individual. The same shoe doesn’t fit everyone.
Bite guards and dental splints are an effective treatment for many with TMJ disorder. There are many different designs that Dr. Miller can use, based on your specific symptoms and habits. At the most basic level, an occlusal appliances relieves pressure on the TM joints and relaxes muscles to keep teeth in a comfortable position.
Often times, restorative dentistry is needed to achieve a balanced bite. This may include one or several procedures to re-establish harmony between the TM joints, muscles and teeth.
Stress is the most common cause for TMJ disorder. In addition to treatments that deal with physical and neuromuscular issues, other methods may be helpful such as:
- Physical therapy
- Relaxation techniques (yoga, biofeedback and hypnosis)
- Self-regulation of poor oral habits
Learn More About TMJ Disorder
Schedule a TMJ Consultation
If you are suffering from TMJ pain, facial pain or headaches, contact our Asheville dental office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Stephen Miller. He will evaluate your condition and recommend the best treatment plan. Call 800.788.9411 or request an appointment online.