Dental crowns are used to restore teeth that are affected by decay or other damage. The dental crown covers the tooth, like a cap, to add strength as well as improve both function and esthetics.
Is a dental crown right for you?
Here are some of the common reasons why Dr. Hoffert would recommend a dental crown:
- To restore a tooth with a large cavity and/or after root canal
- To repair a cracked or broken tooth
- To improve the appearance of a stained or discolored tooth
- To replace an existing restoration that is worn, broken or unsightly
- To improve the appearance of misshapen or misaligned teeth
Dental Crowns: Step By Step
- Initial Visit – First, Dr. Hoffert will conduct a thorough examination of the teeth, gums, jaw joints and other support structures. Using diagnostic x-rays, molds and impressions, she can look for hidden signs of decay, stress and instability. She will design a personalized treatment plan to restore the tooth to optimal health and function. Dr. Hoffert will inform you on the various options you have for dental crowns and help you make the best choice.
- Tooth Preparation – Once the treatment plan is finalized, Dr. Hoffert will prepare the teeth by removing a small amount of the natural tooth structure to accommodate the dental crown. In most cases, Dr. Hoffert will use a temporary tooth cap to cover the tooth while the final dental crown is being created. Not only does this temporary dental cap provide protection for the tooth, but it gives you an opportunity to “test drive” the new restoration.
- Final Restoration – The final crown will be fabricated in a dental laboratory to Dr. Hoffert’s exact specifications. In about 2 weeks, you will return for the delivery appointment. Dr. Hoffert will try on the dental crown and secure it for a permanent fit.
Teeth in a Day
Dr. Hoffert now offers CEREC CAD/CAM technology for “teeth-in-a-day.” CEREC is a non-invasive 3-D digital imaging system can take highly accurate scans of the teeth and gums. The digital images are used to create highly accurate, precise designs for dental restorations. CEREC allows for better fit, highly customizable lasting dental restorations in as little as one visit to our Asheville, NC dentist office.
The CEREC machine is capable of designing and milling a dental restoration in a single dentist office visit. In about one hour, the CEREC machine can design a dental crown or porcelain veneer uniquely tailored to your cosmetic and restorative needs. The dental restoration is milled on site by the CEREC machine eliminating wait times required by a dental lab.