Dental CrownAn Overview
Dental crowns are used to restore teeth that are affected by decay or other damage. The dental crown covers the tooth, like a cap, to add strength as well as improve both function and esthetics. Dental crowns can also be used in combination with dental implants to replace a single missing tooth. Made from high-quality dental porcelain, dental crowns can be color matched and shaped to match your natural smile.
Is a dental crown right for you?
Dr. Hoffert offers personalized dental treatment plans that are designed to address the functional problems of the smile in order to support long term oral health and a beautiful smile. Here are some of the common reasons why Dr. Hoffert would recommend a dental crown:
- To restore a tooth with a large cavity and/or after root canal
- To repair a cracked or broken tooth
- To improve the appearance of a stained or discolored tooth
- To replace an existing restoration that is worn, broken or unsightly
- To improve the appearance of misshapen or misaligned teeth
- To replace a missing tooth in combination with a dental implant
Teeth in a Day
Dr. Hoffert now offers CEREC CAD/CAM technology for “teeth-in-a-day.” CEREC is a non-invasive 3-D digital imaging system can take highly accurate scans of the teeth and gums. The digital images are used to create highly accurate, precise designs for dental restorations. CEREC allows for better fit, highly customizable lasting dental restorations in as little as one visit to our Asheville, NC dentist office.
The CEREC machine is capable of designing and milling a dental restoration in a single dentist office visit. In about one hour, the CEREC machine can design a dental crown or porcelain veneer uniquely tailored to your cosmetic and restorative needs. The dental restoration is milled on site by the CEREC machine eliminating wait times required by a dental lab.
After a lifelong struggle with weak teeth that could never be whitened and were increasingly crooked, Dr. Hoffert and her team excelled! I am so happy with my new smile! It's a pleasure to smile and not feel that embarrassment to show my teeth or to bear the brunt of…P.B.
Great treatment experience as usual - superstar team! Thank you!A.C.
Outstanding. Very impressed with competence level. Will bring in rest of family.J.C.
Dr. Hoffert is extremely careful & focused on patient comfort. I highly recommend her & Red Maple Dental. The staff is also friendly and goes the extra mile.H. B.
Dr. Hoffert has been most helpful to my husband. Both in her "hands-on" work in the office and (very important) going out of her way making sure he got the proper pain meds on schedule once he was back home in Assisted Living. Gets an A+ from us.J.B. & D.B.
I am "over the moon" impressed with the quality of service at Red Maple Dental. As a new patient I have never been treated with such astounding care. Dr. Hoffert is incredibly talented & a wonderful dentist! Thanks for everythingC. S.
Dental Crown What to Expect
Dental crowns are highly durable, natural looking options for the treatment of several dental health concerns. Dental crowns can help patients restore a smile after tooth loss, or repair cosmetic damage. Dr. Hoffert is a highly trained cosmetic dentist using state of the art dental technology and modern materials for optimal results.
Patients may receive a CEREC tooth in a day or may require a multi-stepped process to create a custom dental crown. A comprehensive oral exam will help Dr. Hoffert determine which treatment will provide the patients with their best smile.
Dental Crowns: Step By Step
- Initial Visit – First, Dr. Hoffert will conduct a thorough examination of the teeth, gums, jaw joints and other support structures. Using diagnostic x-rays, molds and impressions, she can look for hidden signs of decay, stress and instability. She will design a personalized treatment plan to restore the tooth to optimal health and function. Dr. Hoffert will inform you on the various options you have for dental crowns and help you make the best choice.
- Tooth Preparation – Once the treatment plan is finalized, Dr. Hoffert will prepare the teeth by removing a small amount of the natural tooth structure to accommodate the dental crown. In most cases, Dr. Hoffert will use a temporary tooth cap to cover the tooth while the final dental crown is being created. Not only does this temporary dental cap provide protection for the tooth, but it gives you an opportunity to “test drive” the new restoration.
- Final Restoration – The final crown will be fabricated in a dental laboratory to Dr. Hoffert’s exact specifications. In about 2 weeks, you will return for the delivery appointment. Dr. Hoffert will try on the dental crown and secure it for a permanent fit.