Practically everyone will have to deal with a tooth cavity at some point in their life. The best way to fight cavities is with regular visits to the dentist for professional dental cleaning and examination. If you do have a tooth cavity, Dr. Shawna Hoffert can offer treatment using a dental filling or crown to restore the tooth.
What Causes Tooth Cavities
Most tooth cavities form as a result of plaque build up. When plaque makes contact with sugar and starch, bacteria are activated. These bacteria produce acid which erodes enamel, leading to the formation of a tooth cavity.
Many patients take medications that reduce saliva production, which can lead to dry mouth. Saliva is very important to keeping the teeth and gums healthy. Saliva neutralizes acid, reduces bacteria and washes away plaque and other build up. If you have dry mouth, you are at a higher risk for tooth decay and gum disease. Dr. Hoffert can advise you on treatments and techniques to reduce your risk and increase saliva.
Tooth Cavity Symptoms
Dr. Hoffert can identify dental cavities before most patients experience symptoms, so it is important to maintain regular dental check-ups. In advanced stages of tooth decay, you might experience:
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks
- Visible holes or pits in the teeth
- Soreness around the gums
Tooth Cavity Treatment
If you already have cavities or if your teeth are showing signs of decay, Dr. Hoffert offers a range of general dentistry services to restore stability to the tooth and provide protection from future damage or decay.
- Composite Dental Fillings – Composite fillings are placed in a single visit and are used to treat teeth with minor tooth decay.
- Porcelain Dental Fillings – Called inlays or onlays, these types of restorations are generally used when there is more significant tooth decay.
- Root Canal – If the tooth decay has advanced and is causing an infection at the root of the tooth, you may need a root canal. This procedure is the best way to treat a diseased tooth and can help you avoid a tooth extraction.
Get Treatment for Tooth Cavities
If you are experiencing tooth pain and suspect you have a tooth cavity, contact Red Maple Dental in Asheville NC for a consultation and examination.
Call us at (828) 348-8858 or schedule an appointment online.